It has now been well established that even if one member of your family is addicted to alcohol, the effect can be seen on everyone. Similarly, if your spouse is suffering from alcohol addiction, it will affect you too. Sometimes, the effect is too much to handle, and you realize it is high time that your spouse seeks professional help. But how will you begin such a difficult conversation? Here are some tips to carry out this difficult conversation with your partner.
Does My Spouse Need Professional Help?
Talking about your partner’s alcohol addiction can quickly turn into a fight within seconds. This can especially happen when you approach them while they are drunk or drinking. The influence of alcohol can easily make them furious and the conversation becomes a fight, upsetting both parties. Therefore, the prime tip for bringing up this topic is when they are in a good mood and sober. These are some questions you can ask them:
- Are you secretive about your drinking and how much you drink?
- Are you skipping work, school, or family gatherings to drink?
- Does drinking make you feel good or normal?
- Are you facing a financial crisis or legal charges because of your drinking?
- Do others comment on your drinking habit and patterns?
- What would motivate you to stop drinking?
What If My Spouse Refuses To Talk About It?
Some people will be ready to engage in such a tough conversation, while others won’t see it as a problem. If your spouse doesn’t think their drinking is getting out of hand, just be patient until they realize it on their own. Soon enough, they will come across a situation that will make them realize their mistake. But until then, you can focus on these points:
- Learn about alcohol addiction and its effects on families
- Concentrate on your own needs and others in your family
- Have clear communication and be aware of the consequences
- Do not stand up for your spouse in their wrong behaviors
- Get professional help for yourself and others in the family to help you guide through this situation
- Be ready to help your spouse when they are ready to accept their addiction
Seeking Professional Advice
If you feel your spouse needs help, the above-mentioned pointers will surely help you. Once you have had the difficult conversation and convinced your spouse to get help, quickly contact Skyward Treatment center to admit them into recovery as early as possible. Our center will help you with all the essential treatments and therapies that your partner needs in order to get sober. Call us now to know more about our treatment plans and other facilities.