Addiction is a chronic disease and it can have different effects on every individual. Similarly, every individual facing addiction issues also has different reasons behind developing it. One of them is the trauma faced in their past. Experts say that childhood trauma or past trauma can be a strong reason for people to depend on addictive substances.
If you are abusing substances as a way to overcome your past trauma, you might need trauma therapy from Skyward Treatment along with addiction treatment.
How does Trauma Fuel Addiction?
The trauma from unpleasant events in the past can linger forever with you. This can lead you to experience:
- Relationship problems
- Reliving the event in your mind
- Avoiding places, people, and events that remind you of the trauma
- Low self-esteem
- Continuous fear
- Intense anxiety
- Mood swings
Research shows that about 65% of the patients receiving addiction treatment have faced some kind of trauma in their past. This has led them to abuse substances as a way to overcome the above-mentioned symptoms.
Such a complex problem needs expert treatment called trauma therapy which focuses on healing past trauma along with addiction issues. Trauma therapy includes the following:
- Helps you identify the root cause of your trauma
- Makes you understand how trauma has fueled your addiction
- Helps you identify and name the emotions concerned with trauma
- You learn healthy coping techniques to manage the trauma
- You can learn to set goals for your future
Some of the methods used during the treatment are:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Group therapy
Do you Need Trauma Therapy?
Are you also one of those patients suffering from addiction due to trauma? Yes? Then, you need trauma therapy from Skyward Treatment.
Contact our team to book a consultation with our experts today in Forth Worth, TX!