Aromatherapy Helps Addiction Recovery: Here’s How
Aromatherapy helps reduce the discomforts and symptoms associated with certain conditions. In the past, people have used aromatheraphy induces plant materials and aromatic ingredients to help elevate mental, physical and spiritual health and that too, all over the world! Studies show that one essential oil can contain hundreds of therapeutic compounds. Aromatherapy can be an effective holistic treatment for those recovering from a drug or alcohol addiction. Let’s learn about the best oils to use for recovery and this centuries-old therapy.
How Aromatherapy can Benefit your Therapy
There are majorly two ways for the oils to enter your system:
- Apply to skin: For various purposes, essential oils can be applied to the skin. Your body absorbs the compounds present in the oils to increase circulation, loosen stiff joints and improve flexibility. In recovery, essential oils can help your body relax. Several reports suggest that oils may help move toxins out of the body as well.
- Inhaled: Inhalation is another way for essential oils to enter the body. When someone inhales the oils, the limbic and olfactory system interact with each other helping smells lead to triggering emotions. Aromatherapy helps you remain optimistic in recovery.
Even though essential oils are natural, one should always take necessary precautions. If you are applying to skin, it’s recommended to use a carrier oil. This will prevent irritation. Talk to your doctor for approval and always follow the recommendations on the label.
Best Essential Oils for Addiction Recovery
- Lavender Oil is often used at bedtime as it promotes calmness and relaxation.
- Ylang ylang is contributes to feelings of relaxation and peace.
- Lemon oil is one of the most refreshing oils out there that can also boost your mood. Kickstart your day by diffusing lemon in the morning.
- When you need a mental boost, Rosemary comes in handy. It is also believed to help with depression.
- Peppermint oil is helpful for people with nausea, migraine and other discomforts. These symptoms can be clearly observed during withdrawal.
- Clary Sage reduces anxiety and promotes sleep.
Do you believe that aromatherapy could complement your addiction recovery plan? Talk to your doctor about the most effective and safest ways to implement essential oils into your life.