There is a new drug that Americans started using, kratom. Kratom is a drug that is sold as a herbal supplement and has effects similar to those of opiates. Kratom is legal in the US because there is still not enough evidence to prove that kratom can cause fatalities.
What is Kratom?
The leaves of an evergreen tree native to Southeast Asia are used to make the herbal extract known as kratom. This plant extract is marketed as an energizer, mood lifter, painkiller, and opioid withdrawal remedy.
Kratom has dose-dependent effects meaning when you consume a low dosage. It acts as a mild stimulant. People in southeast Asia chew the leaves of an evergreen tree to boost their focus, just like coffee. When taken in a higher dose, it acts as a sedative and pain reliever.
People usually consume kratom in capsules, and powder, mixed into food and drinks, as tea, or in a liquid extract.
Is Kratom Addictive?
Like with any other drug, you can develop an addiction from taking kratom even though it is legal in the country. Kratom addiction can develop slowly in these stages:
- Trial stage: Some people do not pass this stage because they intend to relieve some pain using a different medication.
- Regular use: If a person uses the medication continuously because of its positive and euphoric effects.
- Increasing risks: Individuals might sense that they might be developing dependence but still use the medication because there are no side effects.
- Dependence: At this stage, people who use the medication cannot easily stop because they experience withdrawal symptoms when they try to stop.
- Substance use disorder: There comes a point in a person’s life when they can’t function without their drugs. Addiction symptoms are visible.
Kratom Addiction Treatment in Houston, Texas
Kratom will cause withdrawal symptoms just like any other abused drug. It is why getting help from a reputable addiction rehab center like Skyward Treatment in Houston, Texas, is a must.
We have Kratom Addiction Treatment which can significantly help your addiction. We only used individualized treatment programs to ensure your successful recovery.
If you are ready to turn your life around, call us!