Mental health disorders and substance abuse often go hand-in-hand. A majority of addiction cases are also cases of underlying mental health conditions. Such a situation is referred to as dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorders in the field of addiction treatment.
Dual diagnosis is important to address as it can easily become severe and prove to be fatal for the patient. The same can also affect the people around the patient. Therefore, finding the best treatment center for dual diagnosis is necessary.
What is Dual Diagnosis?
Dual diagnosis is referred to a condition where an individual suffers from multiple disorders at a time. These disorders are mainly substance abuse and mental illness.
Both these disorders can be the cause and result of the other. For example, one can begin consuming substances as a means of recreation and develop an addiction. As the consumption continues, it leads to various side effects, one of which is mental illness. If the substance intake continues as earlier, the conditions become worse leading to dual diagnosis.
In other cases, the addiction can happen much later. The cycle reverses in these conditions where substances are used as a means of medication. An individual consumes prescription drugs or alcohol to overcome disturbing emotions. With time, they develop a dependency on the substance and the mental illness remains untreated.
Signs of Mental Illnesses
To understand the condition well, here are some common signs of mental illnesses to look for:
- Racing thoughts
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Suicidal thoughts
- Engaging in risky behavior
- Extreme mood swings
- Increased irritability
- Sudden changes in appearance and sleep patterns
- Losing interest in favorite activities
- Feeling hopeless, worried, and panicky
Signs of Substance Abuse
Common signs of substance abuse include
- Unable to control the intake of substances
- Needing more amount than usual
- Developing a tolerance
- Withdrawal symptoms when not high or drunk
- Unable to quit substances despite knowing their negative effects
- Failing at responsibilities
- Deep urges and cravings
- Spending a lot of time after substances
Finding a Reliable Dual Diagnosis Rehab
One of the most reliable names for addiction recovery in Houston, Texas is Skyward Treatment. The center offers:
- Physical and psychiatric assessment before admission
- Customized treatment plan
- Experienced and trained team of professionals
- Evidence-based and holistic treatments
- Dual diagnosis at every level of care
You can know more about the treatments and facilities by approaching us. Call us now to know more!