Opiates and opioids are the drugs derived from the poppy plant which are used to treat severe pain. When these medically prescribed drugs are used beyond its prescription period, it leads to opiate addiction. Opiate addiction is extremely harmful for the brain and the body and requires medical assistance to overcome the same.
Opiate Withdrawal Symptoms
Withdrawal symptoms are the symptoms experienced or observed after consuming the last dosage of the drug. These are the signs that indicate the absence of the drug in your body. These symptoms are classified as early and late symptoms of opiate withdrawal.
- Muscle aches
- Runny nose
- Incessant tearing
- Abdominal cramps
- Dilated pupils
Abstaining from professional help during the withdrawal phase may not be deadly but could result in relapse and overdosing which can lead to death.
Opiate Addiction Treatment
The above mentioned withdrawal symptoms can be extremely fatal for some users, therefore, detoxing in a controlled environment is advisable. Opiate addiction treatment involves three major steps – medication, counseling and support.
MAT Program And Medicines
MAT or Medically – Assisted Treatment program involves taking help from medicines like:
- Methadone: helps in reducing the intensity of the withdrawal symptoms. It is also used as long – term maintenance medicine for opioid addiction.
- Buprenorphine: helps in withdrawal and reduces the detox period. Buprenorphine can also be combined with other medicines such naloxone and suboxone to prevent further drug misuse.
- Clonidine: it reduces anxiety, muscle pain, agitation, sweating, runny nose and cramping. It mainly reduces the withdrawal symptoms but not the drug cravings.
- Naltrexone: helps in preventing relapse.
- Other medicines: can treat symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea and insomnia.
After the detox stage, the user moves on to seeking individual and group therapies which prepares them to control their drug cravings after discharging from the rehab center.
Post the counseling stage comes support or aftercare. The patients are expected to attend outpatient meetings or therapy sessions for sometime after getting discharged from an inpatient facility. These meetings help them stay focused on maintaining sobriety while continuing their normal lives.
Opiate Addiction Treatment At Skyward Treatment Center
If you or any of your loved ones are suffering from opiate addiction and need professional help, then immediately approach Skyward Treatment center. Our center provides the highest quality of treatment and therapies along with an assured aftercare program. Call us now to know more about our treatment plans, therapies and other facilities provided.